King David Lodge #100, P.H.A.
Doty E. Nash Educational Assistance Fund
The brothers of King David Lodge #100, a subordinate lodge of the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, State of Illinois and its Jurisdiction, are proud to announce the annual Doty E. Nash Educational Assistance Scholarship. Doty E. Nash was a member of King David Lodge #100, where he served as Worshipful Master (President) in 1959. Because of his numerous professional and personal accomplishments, the title of Honorary Past Grand Master was bestowed upon him, one of the highest honors a Master Mason can receive. The objective of this Educational Assistance Fund is to provide financial support to incoming college freshman who exhibit a diligent commitment to fulfill lifeís goals through education.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be an African-American graduating senior at a Chicago or suburban public or private high school.
- Submit official high school transcripts.
- Submit A.C.T. / S.A.T. Scores.
- Complete an Application Profile (see page 4 of application).
- Submit a typewritten persuasive essay (450 to 500 words) on the following topic:
During the 2016 presidential election campaign, the majority of the polls predicted Hillary Clinton winning the presidency by a landslide as recently as election day. Donald Trump made history by being elected president, despite losing the popular vote. Election results show that Trump only earned votes from 4% of black women and 13% from black men. After one year in office, President Trump boldly proclaimed that the black unemployment rate is the lowest in recorded history because of his policies. Discuss black unemployment in the United States, and whether or not Donald Trumpís policies are contributing to the black unemployment rate.
- Supply three (3) letters of recommendation. The letters of recommendation shall attest to the applicantís character and commitment to higher education.
- Submit an official acceptance letter from an accredited college or university.
All completed applications will be reviewed, scored, and ranked based on the strength the essays and the application profile. One winner will be selected and will receive a one-time award of $500.00, which shall be awarded to the recipient at a formal reception.